was once important enough to be a Hundred, an administrative
division of a shire. This included the parishes of Halberton,
Sampford Peverell and Willand, as well as parts of Uplowman and
Burlescombe. Many of the farms date back to Doomsday or shortly
after and Halberton is still largely a farming community.
Halberton village is divided into two
parts, Higher Town and Lower Town, separated by the mill stream and pond. The pond is fed
by warm springs and never freezes.
The Great Western railway once had a branch
line running through Halberton to Tiverton, but this has now gone. However, the Grand
Western Canal still runs through the village and this is now a country park. It is 11
miles long running from Tiverton to Loudwells.
There are several old houses in the
village, the most notable being The Priory, believed to date from the 14th
century, when it was part of a college called St. Judes. This was occupied by monks
of the order of St. Augustine. Townsend House dates from the early 18th
century, and several other houses in the village date from the 17th and 18th
The parish church dates from the 14th
century and stands at the centre of the village. It is thought to have been constructed on
the site of an earlier Saxon church. There is also a Methodist Chapel at which John Wesley
preached, first in 1760, and again between 1779 and 1789. Halberton also has a Christian
Fellowship Group, which meets in Ash Thomas Church.
The Primary School, erected in 1844 has
seen many changes and extensions over the years, and although still small is well equipped
with modern equipment.
There is an active Parish Council, and many
other organisations which cater for all tastes, including a Womens Institute and a
branch of the British Legion.